Saturday, March 10, 2012

Vintage Everyday

Maybe I'm just late to the party but I just found the blog, Vintage Everyday.  It shows just old pictures.  Which may sound boring to some, but what's great about it is that they show just random old pictures.  Something that mainstream culture doesn't really show about the past is what it was like to be a regular ol' guy then.  Roughly before the year 2000 (I am totally guessing on that.  Wait, I'm on those internets, let me find out how wrong I am...ok, so in 2000 the first camera phone came out, and this timeline doesn't really say when digital photography really started to rise, so I'm going to stick with my original guess), yeah so before the years 2000, taking pictures meant spending money.  So when you took a picture, you typically were documenting an occasion of some merit.  This is more true the further back in history you go since film only got cheaper and cheaper.  You're lucky to see an impromptu picture from the 20's unless it's for a new story.

I love being able to see awkward moments from teenagers in the 50's and a bright sunny day at the beach in the 60's.  I feel like the subject-less pictures like these paint such a better picture of life at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment