Monday, March 5, 2012

The first lie I ever told

Don't ask me what I had to eat yesterday or what the guy at Trader Joe's (where I was about one hour ago) looked like.  I have an awful short term memory, but I have an acute emotional memory.  I can remember the first lie I ever told.

I was in first grade with my favorite-teacher-of-all-time, Miss Rains.  We had to write a funny story.  But I didn't have a single funny story.  As far as I knew, nothing funny had ever happened to me.  So my little brain began to whir and get freaked out that I was going to flunk an assignment!  So I made up a lie, what seemed like an innocent lie.  I lied and said that during a tap dance recital, I kicked off my tap shoe and it hit someone in the audience in the head.  Mind you, at this point, I hadn't even had one recital for dance class.  I remember vividly retelling this story to my best.friend. Shannon and forcing giggles to make the story sound so believable.

Now why is it that I remember that time in first grade, how nervous I was telling that lie, but I could not, for the life of me, tell you the color of my own damn underwear unless I checked.

Do you remember the first lie you told?

No comments:

Post a Comment