Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Ruining everything: Beauty and the Beast

I have this boy that I'm going to marry someday and one of his favorite things to tell me is how I ruin everything.  This should not, in any way, be held against him.  I do ruin things:  childhood memories, bad associations, words, songs, etc.

For example, let's discuss Beauty and the Beast.  Now for the sake of me (and the fact that I know no other version), we're talking about the 90's Disney cartoon with all of its Angela Lansbury glory.  For now, I'm going to ignore the fact that the story is based completely around a serious case of Stockholm Syndrome.  I just want to focus on the secondary characters:  Mrs. Potts, Lumiere, Cogsworth, cute little Chip.  Why does no one feel especially bad for these people/household objects?!

I have no problem with the Beast learning some humility, but due to their profession, these people had banishment thrust upon them for no fault of their own!  And where is Mr. Potts throughout all this?  I like to think that when the enchantress with the rose showed up, he was out to market and then he came back to the house and there was no one there and he ran off to live a life that didn't involve sleeping next to a teapot and cleaning up Beast poop.  And where did the Beast poop, because I'm pretty sure that during this time, indoor plumbing did not exist, and if a Beast poops anything like a Great Dane, it was monumental?  And what did he eat?  Did they edit out the part where Belle finds the creepy basement room that's full of the bones from the previous trespassers?  Cogsworth giving the grand tour, "Here's the West Wing, you should never go there, and here's the dark hole where Beast has his morning damsel-in-distress carcass and cup of tea."

I realize that by the time Belle comes around, Chip and company have all been living as inanimate objects for ten years, but do they really still harbor no ill will for the ass who put them into this situation in the first place?  If I was one of those servants, when that last rose petal fell, you better believe I'd be the animated axe that chopped off his damn head.

No comments:

Post a Comment