Thursday, February 23, 2012

Left? Wrong?

The newest exclamation trend that's permeating my news feed sends me into a bit of a tizzy.  Here, let me demonstrate it in context:

Status update:  Oh, how I love tangerines!
Comment:  I know right?!?!?!?!

Or the variant:

Status update:  What the shit is up with this weather?
Comment: right?!?!

The missing comma in the first example makes it at least a little funny.  "Yeah, I know right [AND left!  Even without making an 'L' with my fingers]!"

These exclamations had to come from the television.  Kids these days and their television and hooloos netflickers.  And although I'm sure its use will fade in time, I still have a bit of a twitch when I hear it.  Of course it doesn't help that someone I knew a while back used to say it in place of an umm, uhh or natural silence in a statement in the most awful valley-girl-like accent I've ever heard.  Seriously, she sounded like a 90's pre-teen:

"So I was walking down the street, riiiiiight?! and saw this guy just standing there riiiiiight?! and this other girl saw him too and we both looked at each other like, 'I know riiiiight?!'"

Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment